Pages

Home About Me Contact Me Categories

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Welcome to Daily Life As a Spaniard!

I wanted to give you guys a quick glimpse of my life in Spain, so I threw together this video using my Sony Bloggie. Sorry that some of the videos are filmed vertically, I was filming the wrong way with my camera (Sorry not sorry). Enjoy!



My name is Leah Channas, and today I burned my hand which was holding my tea while trying to take a cute fall picture. You know why? It's not fall here in Sevilla. It's 80 degrees outside.

Other than my occasional longings for the fall season, I've become quite accustomed to daily life as a Spaniard. I've developed a routine, made friends that I can laugh and have fun with, and grasped a better understanding of the Spanish language. I even run by the river every day (Okay, so it's only my second day of doing that...but that's two more days than I thought I would have been running). I'm very happy to be spending my semester in Spain, and I am going to have a huge appreciation for foreigners in America when I return home.

It's funny, because when we're home in America, we don't realize that foreigners are judged all of the time. Spending my semester in Europe has given me a huge wake up call, because every day when I walk down the street people stare and judge me. But when I start to talk to these people in their native language, they are usually more understanding and supportive in my attempts to grow accustomed to their culture. By coming to Spain with an open mind, I've been able to meet a lot of interesting natives and learn so many important life lessons. I've only been here one month, but I feel like I've grown up so much. I'm not saying that my life here in Spain is anywhere near perfect, but no matter where you live your life will have its quirks.

Take my "Literatura y Cocina" course, for example. I've said before that the lectures are unfortunately very boring at times (all the time), but today was finally a cooking day! Our class cooked "La cola de torro" (Bull's tail...which I didn't eat of course) and I really enjoyed everything that I learned today. It was a great class! My friend Savannah and I made "arroz con aceite, tomate y sal" (rice with oil, tomato and salt) and it was delicious. Absolutely fantastic. Plus, I even managed to snag this wondrous photo of my professor, and if you look closely, you can see him creeping on me out of the corner of his eye...

 
(He's holding the bull's tail)
 
And look again...
 
 
What a champ.
 
I've also enjoyed trying out different food options while living here. They might not always be healthy, but you know what I say? When in Sevilla... (There's nothing else I add. I just say 'When in Sevilla')
 
Today, my friend Tori and I went to this fantastic little Spanish bakery where all of their baked goods are homemade. Mm, yummy! Today I got a chocolate filled donut, and I thought I was walking on the clouds. It was so good! And did I care when people stared at me when I had chocolate all over my face? Of course not. I was too busy enjoying this donut:
 


I also am OBSESSED with my host family's dog, Maya. Maya reminds me of my dog at home, Lil' Bill. Maya has terrible allergies and likes to go underneath my bed so that she can rub her back up against the bedpost. It ends up rocking the whole bed back and forth and meanwhile, she can't breathe as it is, so she's making a racquet with her snorting as well. She's also photo shy, and hates to have her photo taken. Believe me, I've been trying to get a good picture of her for the past month. But I managed to snag this beauty of her RIGHT AFTER she finished scratching herself under my bed (aka prime photo opportunity):


Notice how she won't even look my way. I think she's embarrassed that she has allergies.

Highlight of the Day: Today, my friend Savannah broke her shoe, so she had to walk literally across the entire city of Sevilla with one shoe on, and one bare foot. Her foot was completely black by the time she reached her homestay. I'd rather not think of the diseases that could be lurking on the streets of Sevilla.

Quote of the Day: "Want to just sit on the curb and eat pumpkin pie?"

Until next time,

Leah

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having fun. Glad to finally see a photo of Maya. Did you cook the bull tail even though you didn't eat it?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I love to read them!