Pages

Home About Me Contact Me Categories

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Day 3: I Am Friends with Obi-Wan Kenobi

I decided today that the Sundance Film Festival wait list officially hates me.

It is at times like these when I am so incredibly envious of my fellow classmates who managed to purchase the correct package for the festival, allowing them to fast pass the ticket lines for screenings. I, on the other hand, ended up with the "student package," which simply provides me with an abundance of vouchers that can be exchanged for tickets. And that is only if you manage to get onto the wait list. This morning...I did not.

I also found out that I am not allowed to use my vouchers until January 28th, so the vouchers that I exchanged in the wait list line up until this point were illegal, so to speak. I apparently like to fight the Sundance law.

I intended on seeing the film "Mississippi Grind," starring Ryan Reynolds (swoon) and Sienna Miller. However, seeing as I don't have the best of luck in the world, I did not get on the wait list, which I don't understand because I have some pretty speedy thumbs when it comes to clicking. I'd like to thank our generation of texters for that wonderful ability. Instead, I ended up on the wait list for "Sleeping with Other People," starring Jason Sudeikis and Alison Brie. Nobody else was attending that particular movie this morning so *gulp* I was forced to go to the movies alone. 

I am SO HAPPY I went to see "Sleeping with Other People" this morning. It was hands down my favorite film so far at the festival, which was classified by the director as a raunchy version of "When Harry Met Sally." It was an honest, realistic look at the relationship between two best friends that end of falling in love with each other. It sounds typical, but it was completely new. Each moment was not predictable and each of these unpredictable moments had me falling out of my chair in laughter. Which, I might add, I was extremely self-conscious about because I was seeing this film alone and everyone else around me was in huge friend groups. Every time they looked at me when I burst out laughing, I threw back some shade with a look that stated, "Don't judge me, fool."

Jason Sudeikis and Alison Brie at the Q&A of "Sleeping with Other People"

I also ended up snagging a wait list spot for the PREMIERE of "Last Days in the Desert," starring Ewan McGregor who portrays both Jesus and Lucifer. This was one of my most highly anticipated films at Sundance and I can honestly say the viewing experience did not disappoint. The movie started off a bit slow, with about ten minutes of scenes that showed Ewan simply wandering around in the desert. However, it was the perfect beginning to a powerful film about the humanistic side of Jesus when He walked on the Earth that was filled to the brim with symbolic scenes and images.

The film also featured some humorous moments. For example, when Jesus and the boy protagonist of the film were traveling to get water, they came across a carcass in the desert and the boy just rips the loudest fart I've ever heard. Jesus was cracking up. I could not stop laughing for the next five minutes and I came out of the film with the conclusion: Jesus thinks farts are funny too.

Ewan McGregor happened to sit two rows behind me during the premiere, and when he walked up onto the stage to complete the Q&A portion of the screening with the director, we were so close that I could have held his hand. I didn't though, just so we're clear, but I could have. And it was tempting.

Basically I spent my day with Obi-Wan Kenobi, and everyone reading this should be extremely jealous. He did, however, forget his lightsaber. That was disappointing because he could have easily been attacked, whether by screaming fans or the Dark Side.

Obi-Wan Kenobi at the Q&A of "Last Days in the Desert"
Obi-Wan Kenobi at the Q&A of "Last Days in the Desert" (Minus lightsaber)


Until next time,
Leah

2 comments:

  1. ahhh you're making me so excited to go to the movies with you again!!
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I did get a chance to read this blog and I absolutely love it. Your descriptions are too fun and I can see you doing the things you describe. Enjoy the rest of your days!! Love, mom

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I love to read them!